Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Love affair with Magazines

Even as a little girl, I really love browsing through magazines... Even to the point where I convinced myself I could pass as a model and dress up in pretty dress like those girls in those magazines... Unfortunately for me, big boned girls like myself don't really qualify to become models... It is a fact that the camera adds 20 pounds... I would have looked like a tub of lard trying to fit in 0 sized dresses. Face-wise... No comment. I started collecting when I was 11? Yup, really young... I had the first MEG & CANDY (local) issues ever, I also collected YM, Seventeen, Teen (US issues); Chalk, Cosmopolitan (local and US issues)... As I grew older I converted to a much mature and more fashion/style oriented magazines like In Style, Vogue, People (Style Watch) and of course Preview. I am also very fortunate to be a part of a family who enjoys collecting magazines. Everywhere you go, there will be magazines everywhere... And I'm not even kidding. My mom even had to sell my old Chalk, Meg and Candy issues because there was no space for them in our crazy house.

Yeah... I must say that Magazines played (And still plays) a huge part in my life... Candy was my guide for do's and don'ts when dressing up (When I was around 12...) During my time, Nicole Hernandez, Mikaela Lagdameo (Now Martinez) and Nicole Shultz were the girls often seen on editorials. I'm still a big fan of these girls because I grew up seeing them in magazines. Cosmopolitan (US issues) used to be my favorite magazine... I love their love and lust section, of course their beauty and fashion section. Almost everything I know about boys and life... I got them all from Cosmopolitan. Hahahaha... Which kind of explains why I'm such a feminist. Then yeah... In Style & Vogue. I love all my In Style & Vogue magazines... I never did try to cut any of them because they were just too precious. Oh wait, well there was this two Vogue magazines I regret cutting. I now super wish I never used them on my projects. I grew up with Kate Moss, Amber Valetta, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington on Vogue covers. I love looking through past issues and get ideas on how to dress up, and what make up should I buy next... But my most favorite part of all these magazines were the Editorials. Hmmmm... I just love looking at these well composed and just oh-so beautiful pictures... I love Romantic, Pixie themed editorials, I also like disturbing but beautiful editorials... Somehow I think I lived in the 20s in my past life. I just love the flapper looks. I love Josephine Baker and the Great Gatsby looks. I love fur, pearls, corsets and laces. I love how glamorous everyone looked during that time. It was as if everyone was required to dress up before they go out of the house... Oh yes... I seriously think I was born during that time. I also like fairy tale editorials... December Vogue issues is something everyone should look forward to... Grace Coddington, my idol... Along with my oh so favorite photographer Annie Leibovitz would compose fairy tale like editorials... I also like Eugenio Recuenco for all his disturbing yet artistic editorials.

I need to work on our final project in class soon... Hopefully my love affair with my magazines could help and inspire me... Just as how they managed to help me in my previous personal dilemmas.







No comments:

Post a Comment